The mission of Sustainable Tucson is to build an equitable and resilient community that will thrive long into the future in harmony with our natural desert environment.
We collaborate with others, to explore, envision, and share ways to create a sustainable community and develop grassroots tools for action to meet local needs sustainably.
Sustainable Tucson is a non-profit, grass-roots organization that builds regional resilience and sustainability through community engagement, awareness raising, and advocacy.
Founded in 2006, Sustainable Tucson holds monthly public meetings, topical workshops, and multi-session training courses; organizes special events; and galvanizes public support for initiatives that support our mission. We are the only organization in Tucson that focuses on the entire range and interconnection of issues required to create a more sustainable community.
- We present thought-provoking educational programs on sustainability-related topics at our monthly meetings. Program topics include water use, energy, transportation, housing, food, soil, economics, and building a resilient community in the face of climate challenges.
- We partner with community organizations to advance our educational programs and to promote policies that support greater resilience in Tucson and Southern Arizona.
- We support issue-focused committees and working groups. Current committees and groups include Building Resilience by Building Community, Charitable and Faith-based Sustainability, Energy Transformation, Habitat Restoration, Water, and Zero Waste. Get more details on the Committees and Working Groups page.
- We provide training workshops on topics such as sustainable leadership and climate change communication. We also offer a twelve-week program to train Ambassadors of Sustainability.
- Special projects that we support include the Tucson Repair Cafe and an annual Envision Tucson Sustainable Festival.
We welcome volunteers to help with program planning, tabling or other educational activities, communications, outreach, current committees and projects, or new project planning & organizing. To get involved, please email Paula (email@example.com).